This page contains resources related to small, attached buildings in the area of Design, grouped by topics: Photos, Drawings, Guidelines, Green, City, and Architect. Suggestions welcome!
Design > Photos
- Site: City Data
- Site: Mid-Rise Mixed-Use
- Site: Skyscraper City
- Site: Skyscraper Page
- Gallery: Townhouse Center photo pool and stream
- Gallery: ROWHOUSE photo pool
- Gallery: Steve Mouzon, Over-the-Rhine (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Gallery: Jonathan Lopes, Jonathan’s LEGO web site
- Gallery: Helsinki townhouse competition and entries
- Gallery: Baltimore Infill Survey idea competition. Also Elizabeth Dickinson, “The Great Infill Challenge“, Metropolis Magazine 2009-03-02.
- Gallery: Urban Dwellings architecture studio course (University of Miami 2009 Fall)
Design > Guidelines
- Mountain View, California: Rowhouse and Townhouse Guidelines
- New York, New York: Rowhouse Manual and Rowhouse Styles (Landmarks Preservation Commission)
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Rowhouse Manual
- Toronto, Canada: Infill Townhouse Design Guidelines
- Penang, Malaysia: “Renovation Do’s & Don’ts” for facades and materials
Design > Green
- Sites: LEED, Passiv Haus, Lifecycle Building
- E-Publication: OTR Green Historic Study (Over-the-Rhine Foundation)
- E-Publication: Greening New York City’s Historic Buildings: Green Rowhouse Manual (Municipal Art Society of New York) 88 pages.
- Print: Helena Hashim & Norafida Ghafar, “Exploring Historical Shop-House and Townhouse Vernacular Architectural Design and Elements as a Solution for Successful Passive low Energy Housing”, The Challenge of Awareness in Developing Societies, ed. Dana Raydan & Habib Melki, pp. 197-202, presented at Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Beirut, Lebanon, 2005-11.
- Print: Pattaranan Takkanon, “Design Guidelines for Indoor Comfort in Row Houses in Hot-humid Climates” (University of Queensland School of Geography, Planning & Architecture dissertation 2006), presented at Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Geneva, Switzerland 2006-09.
Design > City
- Print: Bainbridge Bunting, Houses of Boston’s Back Bay (Harvard University Belknap 1999) 511 pages.
- Print: Randall Cotton & Jeffrey Cohen, “Vernacular houses: The Philadelphia Trinity house”, Old-House Journal, Vol. 20 No.3 (1992-05/06) p. 4.
- Print: Elizabeth McCall, Old Philadelphia Houses on Society Hill, 1750-1840 (1966).
- Print: Stephen & Wanda Mouzon, The Bienville Collection.
- Print: Kevin Murphy, The Houses of Greenwich Village (Abrams 2008), 224 pages.
- Print: Alice Read, “Making a House a Home in a Philadelphia Neighborhood”, Perspectives in Vernacular Architecture, Vol. 2 (1986) pp. 192-199.
- Print: Virginia Restemeyer & E. Weiner, Hip and Hidden Philadelphia: The Unexpected House in a City of Tradition (Probasco Haus 2012).
- Print: Henk Zantkuijl, Bouwen in Amsterdam (Architectura & Natura 2007) 758 pages.
- Print: Eugene Atget: Paris (Taschen 2008) 252 pages.
Design > Architect
- Print: Mark Hewitt, The Architecture of Mott B. Schmidt (Rizolli 1991) 165 pages.