This page contains resources related to small, adaptable buildings in the area of Investment & Ownership, grouped by topics: General, Lease, Operations & Maintenance, and Rental Housing. Suggestions welcome!
Own & Operate > General
- Blog: Matrix, including annual sales reports for townhouses in NYC and valuing outdoor space.
- E-Publication: Mary Sai, “5 Tips for Investing in Shophouses“, Asiaone Business, July 23, 2010.
Own & Operate > Lease
Own & Operate > Maintenance
- Print: “Technical Tips: Composite Patching of Brownstone – A Step-by-Step Overview”, New York Landmarks Conservancy, 2003.
- Print: “The Brownstone Guide: Maintenance & Repair Facts for Historic Property Owners”, New York Landmarks Conservancy, 2003.
- Print: Hazel Ojany & Melissa Kroskey, “Retrofit methods for exposed sidewalls adjacent to a collapsed row home”, Senior design project, CAE 492 Civil Archietctural Engineering Senior Design Project, Drexel University College of Engineering, March 26, 2007.
Own > Rental Housing
- People: “Acquiring & Managing Scattered Site Rental Housing”, Florida Housing Coalition, 2012-02-28 and 03-06, topics included Capital Needs Example, Funding Sources, Is Your Board on Board?, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Example, Organizational Capacity Evaluation, and Scattered Site Rental Housing.
- Print: William Apgar, “Rethinking Rental Housing: Expanding the Ability of Rental Housing to Serve as a Pathway to Economic & Social Opportunity” (Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University 2004-12).
- Print: William Apgar & Shekar Narasimhan, “Enhancing Access to Capital for Smaller Unsubsidized Multifamily Rental Properties” (Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University 2007-03).
- Print: Christopher Herbert, “An Assessment of the Availability & Cost of Financing for Small Multifamily Properties” (HUD 2001-08).
- Print: Alan Mallach, “Landlords at the Margins: Exploring the Dynamics of the One to Four Unit Rental Housing Industry” (Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University 2007-03).
- Print: Alan Mallach, “Challenges of the Small Rental Property Sector” (New England Community Developments of Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, 2009), pp 1-7.
- Print: Shekar Narasimhan, “Why Do Small Multifamily Properties Bedevil Us?” (Brookings, 2001-11).
- Print: Sandra Newman, Low-End Rental Housing: The Forgotten Story in Baltimore’s Housing Boom (Urban Institute 2005).
- Print: Kimbra Nieman & Malcolm Bush, “Increasing the Stock of Affordable Housing: The Value of Different Strategies in a Growing Crisis” (Woodstock Institute 2004-02).
- Print: Charles Orlebke, “The Evolution of Low-Income Housing Policy, 1949 to 1999 (Housing Policy Debate of Fannie Mae Foundation, Vol. 11, Issue 2, 2000), pp 489-520.
- Print: Michael Oxley, Ros Lishman, Tim Brown, Marietta Haffner & Joris Heokstra, “Promoting Investment in Private Rented Housing Supply” (UK Dept. for Communities & Local Government 2010-11).
- Print: David Reiss, “Landlords of Last Resort: Should the Government Subsidize the Mortgages of Privately-Owned, Small Multifamily Buildings?” (Western New England Law Review, Vol. 32, 2010).
- Print: “America’s Rental Housing: Homes for a Diverse Nation”, Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University (2006) (“Two-thirds of the nation’s nearly 26 million unsubsidized rental units are owned by individuals”).
- Print: Developing & Managing Scattered-Site Rental Housing (Enterprise Foundation 1999).
- Print: Heather Way, Allaquanda Derrick & Mary Dear, “Preserving Austin’s Multifamily Rental Housing: A Toolkit” (HousingWorks Austin, 2007-04).